Grill up some health food with the world’s healthiest hamburger
Who says BBQ food has to be unhealthy? As we kick off the first barbeque holiday of the year this Memorial day, consider constructing the world’s healthiest hamburger.
1) It starts with good quality grass fed (and grass finished) meat! This beef is full of omegas from the grass the cows happily chomp. Ground beef is usually the cheapest grass fed meat on the market, and it will make the difference between a burger that brings health benefits versus one that taxes the body. For a change of pace, try a lamb burger. They’re almost always grass fed and pastured.
2) Replace the bun with veggies. Many of us are familiar with using lettuce as a hamburger wrap. But grilled portobello mushrooms add a lot more flavor and fun to your burger. Especially if you are a mushroom lover!
3) Add healthy condiments. Avocado, bacon, home made mayo and fermented ketchup all pump up this burgers’ healthiness. You can even add a little bit of sauerkraut to your burger if it sounds good to you.
What I love about this burger is that the healthy fat from avocado and bacon, make cheese much less of a necessity!
But if you must have cheese, add a little bit of feta cheese! Amazing!
Here’s my healthy burger….I made it with chorizo-spiced ground beef (just add cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper). And yes, it’s even better than it looks!
- 2 portobello mushrooms to make 1 "bun"
- Homemade mayo
- Fermented ketchup
- Burger patty
- Avocado slices
- Cooked bacon
- Optional: sauerkraut
- Bake or grill mushroom. In the oven bake them for 25 minutes at 350. Pour a little bit of olive oil on the mushroom before baking to keep them moist.
- Grill a grass fed burger patty on the grill or use your favorite burger making method. Frying in a pan often works for me.
- Spread mayo and ketchup on the mushroom bun.
- Cut avocado and cooked bacon and put on the mushroom buns.
- Add burger to one bun and put the second bun on top! Add sauerkraut if you dare!
- Enjoy the healthiest burger in the world.