Thai pork chili
I have always loved fusion food. When two traditional cuisines blend together into a new combination, I’m in heaven.
When I lived in New York city 15 years ago, I was enamored with a Chinese-Cuban fusion restaurant in my neighborhood.
I wasn’t the only New Yorker who was gaga over the fried rice, roast pork and plantain dishes they served. The lines to get seated were often long and the food was insanely greasy, leaving me feeling heavy on my way out.
Fast forward a decade and a half to healthier times in my own kitchen. Now I make healthy fusion dishes of my own to blow my own socks and taste buds off on a regular basis.
That’s part of the fun of cooking. I often don’t know what I’ll make until the dish starts to take shape as I cook it. This Thai chili dish is the perfect example.
It started as a collection of leftovers I wanted to use up before a trip. I had just defrosted some raw cauliflower rice and was pleased to discover that cauliflower rice freezes and defrost quite well.
I decided to mix the cauliflower rice with ground organic pork, a bit of tomato sauce and paste and some Thai curry spices. That’s how this Thai-spiced chili was born.
The addition of cauliflower rice and peas added the right balance of fiber and starchiness to this meaty dish into a one pot meal. I was even able to sneak in some gut-healing bone broth. Enjoy this fun fusion of meat, veggies and exotic spices.
1/3 cup tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
1/3 cup of bone broth
3/4 pound of ground organic pork
2 to 3 Tablespoons of Thai Kitchen Curry Paste
Optional: A squirt of Organicville Sky Valley Sriracha Sauce
1 teaspoon of Red Boat Fish Sauce
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup of peas (I used organic frozen peas)
3/4 cup of cauliflower rice
- ¾ pound of ground organic pork (or meat of choice)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons of Thai curry paste
- 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- ¾ cup of cauliflower rice
- ⅓ cup of tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
- ⅓ cup of bone broth
- Saute the onion in a cooking fat of choice until it turns translucent.
- Add ground pork and saute till the pork starts to brown. Add in fish sauce, curry paste, sriracha, tomato paste and sauce and bone broth and stir well to mix the sauce with the meat.
- You can continue to cook the dish on low heat on the stove or transfer the ingredients to a crock pot.
- Add in peas, cauliflower and let simmer for a 3 to 4 hours on the low setting of a crock pot or on the lowest heat setting on the stove. Keep the dish covered as you simmer.